Thursday, April 22, 2010

To my beautiful nephew Noe...


As some of you may know my oldest nephew Noe, who is 7 years old has autism. April is autism awareness month and instead of talking about all the struggles with autism I want to share how Noe has affected my life...

Being the youngest of 5 kids I was very excited to have nephews and nieces and when Noe was born that excitement only grew. Jen and Ed were living in NYC when Noe was born and I was out there every chance I had to see my beautiful,brown-eyed nephew. I dressed him up in his Blazer attire and followed him around with a camera.

When Noe was two he was diagnosed with autism. This was very upsetting and painful to know he would struggle, but what comforts me most is that Noe is so special that he was chosen to live this life a little different than the rest of us. Noe is smart and talented and has such an excitement for life. He can hike and bike for hours, something I will NEVER be able to do. He has the most beautiful, infectious smile and laugh and occasionally when we are together he gives me a look that tells me he trusts me.

Noe has changed my life and every time I see him he reminds me that just because people have their struggles it does not make them any less capable, which is a lesson I constantly need reminded of.

So to my beautiful Noe, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment